Your boiler is essential when it comes to keeping your home cozy and warm, as well as ensuring that you have a reliable stream of hot water. But boilers are often taken for granted, and you often only learn to appreciate your boiler after something has gone wrong.
In order to avoid boiler breakdowns and emergency repairs, it is important to invest in regular boiler servicing. Not only does this extend the lifespan of your boiler, but any potential issues will be picked up ahead of time.
As experts in boiler servicing, we’ll be using this article as a guide to the factors that affect the cost of boiler servicing, how much you should be paying, and how you can save money along the way!
The Costs of Boiler Services
Before discussing the costs of boiler services, you need to understand the two different types. There are conventional boilers that make use of cast iron heat exchangers inside a storage tank, and then there are combination boilers that access water from the mains supply and do not use a storage tank. The type of boiler you have may affect the cost of your service.
The following table gives insight into what you can expect to pay for boiler services in 2022
|Type of Boiler Service||Estimated Cost|
|Once-off boiler service||£60 to £120|
|Yearly contract for boiler servicing||£150 to £250|
|Emergency call-out fee for boiler-related issue||£100 to £150|
|Replacing parts||£175 to £275|
The main decision that you’ll need to make is whether you want to opt for once-off fees or if you want to enrol in a service plan. Once-off services can be more affordable for newer boilers that do not have any issues, but a yearly plan can often be the better choice for older boilers that need regular attention.
There are various insurance policies that can help cover your boiler services for a small monthly premium, and these are definitely well worth looking into.
What Factors Affect the Cost of Your Boiler Service?
There are a number of factors that may affect the overall cost of your boiler service, including
- The issues that you are currently facing with your boiler.
- If you need any replacement parts.
- The company that you are getting the boiler service from. (It is usually cheaper to opt for a local business over a national business.)
- Your location (if you are in the rural countryside you may have to pay an additional petrol fee)
- How many gas appliances you have in your home. It is often cheaper to get everything checked at once.
How to Save Money on Boiler Service
At the end of the day, your boiler should be serviced at least once a year, even if nothing appears to be wrong with it. Even though this may seem like an unnecessary expense, it ensures that nothing is wrong with your boiler and that any potential issues can be dealt with before they become a massive issue and end up costing you much more than the service would!
While you should not avoid your yearly service, there are a few ways in which you can save money, including
- Choosing the right company- Choosing a trustworthy company to provide you with a boiler service ensures that you are getting a quality service and value for your money. Ensure that the gas engineer you choose is on the Gas Safe Register and has good reviews behind them.
- Choosing a local company can often be cheaper than choosing a national company.
- Determining whether it is going to be more affordable for you to go with a yearly plan or a once-off service. This will depend heavily on the age of your boiler.
- Get a written quote- This way, you will know exactly how much you’re expected to pay upfront, and you can also use this quote to compare quotes. (Keep in mind that you may still need to pay for the replacement of parts.)
- Practice boiler safety- By taking advice from your boiler engineer and looking for tips online, you can extend the lifespan of your boiler by practising proper boiler safety.
- Have all of your gas appliances serviced at the same time.
- Look into home insurance policies that cover boiler repairs and services.
- If your gas boiler gives you non-stop issues, it may be cheaper, in the long run, to invest in a boiler replacement and get the best boiler for your needs.
Lastly, there are certain suppliers that offer assistance schemes for those who are struggling to afford their boiler service. You can call the Energy Saving Trust in England and Wales to see if you may be eligible.
Remember that unless you are certified, you should not attempt to carry out your own boiler repairs!
Are you looking for a team that can provide you with regular, reliable, and affordable boiler services in Derbyshire and surrounding areas? B. Wilson Plumbing can offer you all that and more. Feel free to browse our website to find out more about our expert team and quality services. If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with us!